2020 Des Lee High School Choir Registration Form
Dear Choir Directors,
Enclosed is the registration form for the Des Lee Fine Arts Education Collaborative High School Choir Festival. The Festival will be held on Tuesday, February 4, 2020 and will culminate with an evening concert at the Blanche M. Touhill Performing Arts Center on the University of Missouri-St. Louis campus. Dr. James Henry, Director of Choral Studies at UMSL, will be our guest conductor.
Students are selected for this choir based your recommendations.
When recommending your students (approximately 8 students), please observe the following:
- Student will participate in a rehearsal provided by Dr. Henry, a student of his, or Caroline Ibnabdeljalil—This time will be worked out with you at a later date.
- Students must be able to comfortably perform high school choral literature or above.
- Select students who are able to match pitch.
- Select students willing to learn their music before they arrive at the festival.
- Prioritize your recommendations by listing your best students first on the form (quartet 1).
- Provide comments on each student so that the selections can be based on the students’ abilities.
- Comments should include abilities, other honors’ groups participated in, discipline.
- Recommend students willing to learn their music before they arrive at the festival.
- Remember that not all students will be selected for the choir. Selections are based on listed ability, recommendations and choir needs.
- This has changed from previous years. We want this to be an honor experience, much like the ensembles of Suburban and Metro districts.
Not following any of the above mentioned recommendations when selecting students will cause the overall ensemble to suffer. Students selected who do not meet the above criteria will slow down rehearsal. Students that are not prepared or qualified to participate will negatively affect the education of those who are prepared and who do meet the above recommendations.
When planning for the event please remember:
- Rehearsal starts promptly at 9:00 a.m. Please arrive by 8:45 a.m.
- Students will arrive in concert dress– Girls: white blouse, black skirt (or black pants- NOT leggings) and black shoes- Boys: white shirt, black slacks, black socks and black dress shoes. No jeans!!
- Students will receive a break for lunch and dinner and will be responsible for their own lunch and dinner at the Student Center.
- The concert will begin at 6:30 p.m. – all family, friends and teachers are welcome.
- The concert will include a choir, orchestra, and band.
- Performers will have designated seats for the concert and are expected to stay in their designated seats until the conclusion of the concert. Teachers should sit with their students.
- Directors will receive one copy of each piece for themselves and also one copy of each for every 2 students. You may keep this music after the festival.
- Directors must be present for the entire day of the festival and should sit among and around students in the rehearsal modeling correct posture, singing, behavior etc.
- In addition to the 8 students you select, please list 4 alternates. If the number of schools participating is low, you may be invited to bring some or all of them.
You will be receiving a list of the repertoire and a schedule for the day in a separate email. Music will be distributed at the December E. Des. Lee collaborative meeting. You will receive your music from your district coordinator.
University City High School